Circle_question_markSlip and fall injuries are common and a lot more serious than most people would think. Some may simply get a bruise or a cut from such incidents, but others – especially the elderly – may suffer serious conditions such as head trauma, broken ribs, or fractured bones. A frequent problem for slip and fall victims is that they don’t know what to do after their accident.

Most of the time, they just accept what tiny check the other party’s insurance adjuster would hand to them. If you or a loved one has suffered from grave injuries from a slip and fall incident, you know that treatment will usually cost you thousands of dollars.


Remember: there are legal experts who are willing to help you out of your predicament. To get started, here are the top three common questions for slip and fall claims.

Question #1: What If I Had Previous Injury? Can I Still Be Entitled For Compensation?

Good question. For such claims, one of the most important things you need to prove is that your injuries NOW was caused by the slip and fall incident. Your physician can help you with this. This is why it’s crucial to seek medical help right after what happened because your healthcare professional can determine which of your injuries can be attributed to the fall.

Often, it will be legal experts (such as your personal injury lawyer) who will make the ‘link’ between your injuries and the accident. After which they may call in your doctor to give a deposition. This may prove difficult as healthcare professionals rarely take the time off for such purposes. Try this instead: ask for a letter that describes your injuries and how they are related to your slip and fall. Explain that this is for a personal injury claim. This will be better for you and your attorney.

Question #2: I Slipped and Got Injured on Public Property. Can I Sue The Local Government?

While it’s not impossible, it’s going to be tricky.

For one, you – and your attorney – would need to prove two crucial points: one, the local agencies responsible KNEW about the hazardous situation but didn’t do anything about it (i.e. fixing a broken sidewalk); and two, that you weren’t the only one who was hurt because of it. The latter involves finding valuable witnesses and perhaps, even digging through piles of archived city documents.

There are also other things to consider should you wish to pursue a personal injury claim against your local city government:

  • Local deadlines for filing a notice
  • Proper governing body or department to file the notice to
  • Strong evidence (witness statements, photographs, past files, medical records, etc.)
  • Local limitations for slip and fall claims (usually very small amounts not exceeding $100,000)
  • Finding a good lawyer who has handled similar cases

It’s not easy going against your city. But if you were severely injured, you want to make sure that you are properly compensated for your pain and lost wages. Your best bet is to seek the right legal advice from a qualified slip and fall attorney before anything else.

Question #3: I Didn’t See The Obstruction So I Tripped and Fell. Am I Still Entitled To Compensation?


You could be. Personal injury claims involve other important factors that would enable you to receive some amount of settlement for what happened. For instance: if you slipped and fell on wet floor with NO clear warning signs, then you can receive compensation. People who trip and fall due to road obstructions are also entitled to a claim.

However, to really know the actual worth of your case, the best course of action is to ask a slip and fall attorney. He or she will analyze the factors involved in your accident and determine a fair amount that you can benefit from. In slip and fall cases, it’s important NOT to be greedy. Think about what’s reasonable for you and stand your ground. Don’t worry, a good attorney will guide you every step of the way – until you receive your settlement.

Leave a Reply