Did you know that millions of people are rushed to the emergency room because of fatal slip and fall accidents? It may appear like a typical mishap to most: but these can actually lead to severe concussion, fractures, and even death. Getting a bruise from tripping over something at the park may not be a huge deal; but for other people – like seniors – it can result to complications that would need legal intervention.
One of the main things insurance agencies as well as attorneys look at in a slip and fall scenario is the PLACE of the incident.
Common Places Where People Slip and Fall
You can trip and fall ANYWHERE. From your own house, at work, at the mall, or even while visiting a private office.
But the areas most prone to accidents are:
- Supermarkets, Grocery Stores, Shopping Malls
- Hotels and/or Resorts
- Apartments/Private Homes
- Public Spaces (parks, parking lots, streets, sidewalks, etc.)
Why are insurance providers and lawyers so keen on knowing WHERE you were injured?
In personal injury claims such as a slip and fall accident, it must first be determined how each party should be held accountable for their own actions. For example: you hurt your head from tripping over some boxes at a grocery store. While the establishment had a duty to ensure those boxes were out of the way; you also have a responsibility to watch where you are going. Knowing where you are at the time of injury will help shed light on how much you will get in terms of compensation.
Location Factors To Consider
What are attorneys and insurance agencies looking for?
- Space Safety Standards. Each location has its own standards of maintenance and safety. In the case of the grocery store, they should have stored those boxes out of the way so that others won’t trip over them.
- People Involved. The area where the incident happened will of course, have someone else present. These could be valuable witnesses who would be able to present an unbiased opinion about your accident. OR, they could be the reason why you were hurt.
- Uncontrollable Conditions. In the event of a misfortune, some things can NOT be controlled. If you slipped and fell on the sidewalk on a rainy day, it’s impossible to hold the weather accountable for your injury. Other factors would need to be investigated.
- Responsible Party. Some places have people who could be held responsible for your accident. A slip and fall in an apartment for example, may hold a landlord or tenant accountable. For grocery stores, the employee or manager.
Your Next Steps
If you are suffering injuries due to a slip and fall accident, don’t hesitate to contact a slip and fall attorney. Take advantage of a free consultation. Talking to one doesn’t immediately mean you are hiring him. Ask questions and make sure you are enlightened on the important points for your claim. While a lot of slip and fall cases do not lead to lawsuits; having a qualified legal expert on your side will ensure you get the compensation you deserve.